It's at the core of who we are
Our Heritage of Care:
Our greatest contribution to society is to continue to discover and develop innovative medicines.
However, for almost 140 years Lilly has demonstrated a commitment to being a responsible global citizen-primarily through a long history of philanthropic contributions.
From the provision of food and shelter to the poor, to rushing supplies of emergency medicines for the victims of natural disasters, Lilly’s early efforts in community service established a strong precedent for giving back that Lilly employees continue to follow today. This living heritage shapes who we are and inspires us to keeping finding new ways to make a contribution to healthcare.
Lilly also demonstrates corporate responsibility through:
- Improving global health – with a focus on people in need.
- Patient programs.
- Supporting communities.
- Operating responsibly.
- Environmental stewardship.
Enhancing Access to Medicines
We also work to improve global health by helping expand access to medicine; by working to strengthen policies that foster better health - by providing help to those in need, and by being an active participant in the communities we serve.
We believe that collaborating with governments and other stakeholders builds trust and reinforces our mutual interest in bringing value to patients and society. We know that conducting our business responsibly enables us to attract a principled, passionate, and creative workforce - individuals who seek to contribute their talents to our mission of improving global health.
Some of these programs include:
Lilly NCD Partnership: Created to fight the rising burden of non-communicable diseases, specifically diabetes.
Lilly MDR-TB Partnership: A public-private initiative to address the expanding crisis of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis (MDR-TB).
The reach of our programs is global. Yet we ensure that the impact of our work is also felt at a local level with a commitment to invest in the communities in which we operate.
Strengthening our Communities;
Click here to read about Lilly Australia's Corporate Social Responsibility initiatives.
Lilly Global Day of Service;
Each year Lilly Australia participates in the Lilly Global Day of Service volunteering program. This one-day event provides employees with the opportunity to participate in team-based volunteering activities in local community organisations, along with other Lilly colleagues from around the world.
- In October 2013, more than 24,000 Lilly employees in 65 countries volunteered in their Communities as part of our annual Global Day of Service.
- In six years, we’ve totaled more than 625,000 volunteer hours at a value of nearly $12 million.
Connecting Hearts Abroad
Each year at least 100 Lilly employees are given the opportunity to volunteer in areas of great need around the world.
- In 2014, 30 of the 100 Lilly ambassadors worldwide will join the fight against non-communicable diseases through their volunteer service with the Lilly NCD Partnership in India and South Africa. These ambassadors will apply specialised skills and expertise to help improve diabetes care for people living in impoverished communities near Johannesburg and in the Eastern Cape of South Africa, as well as the Sonepat District of Haryana, India.
- The other 70 ambassadors will partner with Cross-Cultural Solutions to volunteer in impoverished communities in Costa Rica, Ghana, Guatemala, India, Peru, Tanzania, and Thailand.
“Corporate philanthropy and volunteering is an important part of how we deliver on our Promise to the people we serve.”